Search This Blog

Friday, 20 February 2026

Swaziland Newsletter No. 915 – 20 February 2026

 

Swaziland Newsletter No. 915 – 20 February 2026

News from and about Swaziland, compiled by Global Aktion, Denmark (www.globalaktion.dk) in collaboration with Swazi Media Commentary (www.swazimedia.blogspot.com), and sent to all with an interest in Swaziland - free of charge. The newsletter and past editions are also available online on the Swazi Media Commentary blogsite.

 

Textile sector on brink as costs surge, orders shrink

By Stanley Khumalo, Times of eSwatini, 16 February 2026

SOURCE 

MATSAPHA: The textile and apparel industry is warning of imminent retrenchments as operating costs spiral beyond sustainability.

This sector employs more than 22 000 emaSwati and contributes about 7.6 per cent to gross domestic product (GDP).

Factory owners claim a convergence of pressures, a 15 per cent value-added tax (VAT) on water introduced on February 1, 2026, steep electricity tariff increases effective April 1 and a proposed 66.67 per cent salary increment over three years, have pushed the sector to the edge.

On Tuesday, the Eswatini Energy Regulatory Authority (ESERA) approved an average electricity tariff increase of 13.61 per cent for 2026/27. While this is lower than the 20.67 per cent sought by the Eswatini Electricity Company (EEC), the structure of the hike has rattled manufacturers.

Corporate energy charges and demand charges will each rise by 17 per cent. For textile factories, where electricity accounts for roughly 40 per cent of total expenditure, the textile industry players say the increase strikes at the core of production costs.

The employers argue that the VAT on water further compounds their burden. They claim VAT refunds are only claimable if a business accrues over E900 000 in profits, a threshold many say is now unattainable amid declining orders.

“The cost of doing business is no longer predictable. We are absorbing costs from utilities, rentals, transport and raw materials, yet our selling prices are dictated by buyers outside our borders,” said one industry insider. 

South Africa remains the primary market for Eswatini’s garments. However, textile firms report declining orders from major retailers such as TFG Group and Woolworths.

While South Africa’s October retail data showed a 5.8 per cent year-on-year increase in textiles, clothing and footwear sales, industry sources say this growth is largely promotion-driven, with retailers discounting heavily. That, in turn, pushes them to procure at the lowest possible cost.

It is worth noting that South Africa lost 194 000 jobs in retail and trade in 2025, the highest among all industries, based on Statistics South Africa’s report, reflecting constrained consumer spending. 

The textile employers said when retailers struggle, they inevitably feel the shock.

Local manufacturers said the impact is visible. Drake Clothing closed last year, leaving about 350 workers jobless. Golden Jubilee Textiles ceased operations, affecting roughly 650 employees, though it has pledged to reopen. In 2023, Kasumi Apparels Textiles closed, costing 1 782 jobs before eventually resuming operations.

Against this backdrop, the Amalgamated Trade Union of Swaziland (ATUSWA) has tabled a wage proposal. Secretary General Wander Mkhonza confirmed the union would push for a three-year increment that would raise average monthly wages from E2 400 to about E3 900.

The union is also seeking cost-of-living adjustments (CoLA), pension coverage and funeral benefits. While acknowledging improvements by some firms that raised hourly rates from E15 to E18, Mkhonza insists workers deserve dignity and security.

 

Prime Minister facing about R100million fresh scandal

By Zweli Martin Dlamini, Swaziland News, 15 February 2026

SOURCE 

MBABANE: Prime Minister Russell Mmiso Dlamini will soon face grilling by Parliament after secretly transferring about R100million ($5.1million) to the corruption infested National Disaster Management Agency (NDMA) without Parliament and/or Cabinet approval.

It has been disclosed that, the monies were paid by the Government of the United States (US) as a token of appreciation after Eswatini accepted the dumping of dangerous criminals and/or immigrants from the US, previously convicted by their respective countries of murder and child rape among other serious criminal crimes.

But a high level investigation conducted by this Swaziland News uncovered that, after the United States paid about R100million as confirmed by Finance Minister Neal Rijikernberg when addressing Parliament recently, the PM subsequently directed that, the money be transferred to the NDMA, a department under the Deputy Prime Minister’s Office where he previously worked as a Chief Executive Officer (CEO).

But worth-noting, Prime Minister Russell Mmiso Dlamini, while working as the CEO of the Disaster Management Agency allegedly failed to account for about R200million as per the report of the Auditor General (AG) Timothy Matsebula, he was subsequently hauled before the Parliament Public Accounts Committee (PAC) but again, failed to clarify the audit queries.

It has been dislcosed that, the PM recently summoned all Principal Secretaries of the various Government Ministries and urged them to work directly and/or take orders from him not their respective Ministers in what appears to be a serious threat by a sitting Prime Minister to the proper administration of the entire Eswatini Government systems.

As a result, Principal Secretary in the Ministry of Finance Vusie Dlamini allegedly colluded with the Prime Minister in the illegal transfer of the about R100million and it is alleged that, after being captured by the PM and urged to disrespect the Finance Minister, the Principal Secretary vigorously opposed Minister Neal Rijikernberg during a recent meeting inside the Cabinet Offices.

To read more of this report, click here

http://swazilandnews.co.za/fundza.php?nguyiphi=11353

 

SNAT to defend 39 top-up headteach­ers

By Nokuphila Haji, eSwatini Observer, 16 February 2026

SOURCE

After 39 headteach­ers were charged by the min­istry of edu­ca­tion and train­ing for char­ging top-up fees, the Swazi­l­and National Asso­ci­ation of Teach­ers (SNAT) has resolved to defend them through the Swazi­l­and Asso­ci­ation of School Admin­is­trat­ors (SASA).

These are headteach­ers who are mem­bers of SNAT.

The Shisel­weni region had 18 schools found to be unlaw­fully char­ging top-up fees.

There were 10 schools from the Man­zini region, seven from Lub­ombo and four from Hho­hho region.

These headteach­ers met with the SNAT National Exec­ut­ive at the SNAT Centre fol­low­ing the charges laid against them by the min­istry for allegedly col­lect­ing top-up fees illeg­ally.

SNAT Sec­ret­ary Gen­eral Lot Vil­akati said the headteach­ers indic­ated dur­ing the meet­ing that gov­ern­ment grants under the Free Primary Edu­ca­tion (FPE) pro­gramme and the Orphaned and Vul­ner­able Chil­dren (OVC) scheme were insuf­fi­cient.

He said teach­ers were also con­cerned that the funds paid by gov­ern­ment to schools were inad­equate, adding that the union sup­por­ted an increase in FPE fund­ing. He said gov­ern­ment needed to increase FPE grants, which was why some headteach­ers had asked par­ents to con­trib­ute addi­tional fees.

“As SNAT, we say gov­ern­ment should be the one pay­ing the topup fees.

The headteach­ers are not at fault; gov­ern­ment is at fault because it is not fully fund­ing pupils’ edu­ca­tion in the coun­try, which has forced schools to request top-up fees,” he said.

Vil­akati added that the amount gov­ern­ment was pay­ing was below what had been recom­men­ded by the task team respons­ible for draft­ing the free primary edu­ca­tion imple­ment­a­tion frame­work.

To read more of this report, click here

https://eswatiniobserver.com/snat-to-defend-39-top-up-headteachers/

 

See also

Head teachers resolve to close schools if... (Times of eSwatini)

https://www.times.co.sz/news/readmore.php?bhsadjgfoh=Head+teachers+resolve+to+close+schools+if...&yiphi=2959&bvhdgsj=News

 

EU provides technical support to eSwatini’s education sector

Statement, Press and information team of the Delegation to eSwatini, 17 February 2026

SOURCE 

In a Team Europe effort, the European Union (EU) together with three EU Member States – Belgium, Finland and France, has partnered with the Ministry of Education and Training to launch the EU-Regional Teachers Initiative for Africa (RITA) Eswatini, an initiative that seeks to avail European expertise to support Eswatini’s transition to Competency-Based Education (CBE) with a strong focus on strengthening teacher training and professional development in the country’s schools.

© EU Eswatini

This partnership, however, does not involve a direct financial donation to the country, but rather the provision of high-level technical expertise to support ongoing education reforms. This technical assistance will focus on five key areas – building capacity for Competency-Based Education; reviewing teacher training curricula to align with CBE and global standards; operationalising the Council of Educators Act; developing CBE syllabi for Grade 8 – 11 learners and establishing a national framework for in-service teacher training.

Speaking during this event held in Mbabane on 13 February 2026, EU Ambassador to Eswatini, Karsten Mecklenburg, expressed gratitude to the three EU Member States - Finland, France and Belgium, for their support to this initiative. 

“Education is more than a policy priority; it is a promise to the next generation. A promise that every child, every teacher and every citizen will have an opportunity to learn, to grow and contribute meaningfully to society,” said Ambassador Mecklenburg.

On the other hand, Finnish Ambassador to Eswatini, Satu Lassila, thanked the partnership noting that “it would help in the drive for a knowledge driven future for all.”

In the meantime, the Minister of Education and Training, Owen Nxumalo, expressed gratitude to the EU and its Member States for their commitment to advance education in Eswatini noting that this was a testament to partnership and shared values.

The initiative was launched under the theme: “Empowering Teachers for Eswatini’s Future.” The event was attended by development partners and education stakeholders.

 

Warders claim EFF eSwatini member refuses to bath

By Kwanele Dlamini, eSwatini News, 14 February 2026

SOURCE 

MBABANE: Economic Freedom Fighters Eswatini member Siphosethu Malinga, who was arrested for alleged terrorism in March 2023, claims warders assaulted him for not combing his hair.

On the other hand, His Majesty’s Correctional Services says Malinga does not want to bath yet the facility puts a premium on hygiene.

Malinga was arrested with Swaziland Liberation Movement’s (SWALIMO) son Zweli Simelane and SWALIMO member Mxolisi Simelane. They face three counts of allegedly contravening the Suppression of Terrorism Act, 2008, two of robbery and one of contravening the Passport Act of 1971.

Through his legal representatives, Professor M. Dlamini Attorneys, Malinga wrote to His Majesty’s Correctional Services commissioner general to lodge a complaint. The letter is dated February 5, 2026.

The letter reads: “Our client instructs us that he was severely assaulted by prison officers for not having combed his hair. Since then, the client has been trying to raise the issue with the officer-in-charge at Sidwashini Correctional Services.

“It is common course that it is not the first time that the complainant and other Suppression of Terrorism Act detainees/suspects have complained of similar treatment at the hands of the prison authorities in the past and no action has been taken.”

The letter states that all detainees, including the Suppression of Terrorism Act offences detainees have rights which need to be protected by all citizens of the country, including Correctional officers.

It also states that detainees, including Malinga, are presumed innocent until proven guilty or acquitted in a court of law.

“To compel the detainee to comb his hair when his conscience is against that, is a violation of his basic fundamental rights protected by the Constitution. By this letter, therefore, we demand that you duly investigate this abnormal behaviour by your officers and if the complaints are proved to be true, the officers involved should be subjected to disciplinary action,” further reads the letter.

The letter further urges the Correctional Services to desist from acts of violating the rights of the detainees in any manner whatsoever.

To read more of this report, click here

https://www.times.co.sz/news/readmore.php?bhsadjgfoh=Warders+claim+EFF+Eswatini+member+refuses+to+bath&yiphi=2899&bvhdgsj=News

 

 

SWAZI MEDIA COMMENTARY

Find us:

Blog: https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/142383985790674

 

 

 

No comments: