Search This Blog

Friday, 22 May 2026

Swaziland Newsletter No. 927 – 22 May 2026

 

Swaziland Newsletter No. 927 – 22 May 2026

News from and about Swaziland, compiled by Global Aktion, Denmark (www.globalaktion.dk) in collaboration with Swazi Media Commentary (www.swazimedia.blogspot.com), and sent to all with an interest in Swaziland - free of charge. The newsletter and past editions are also available online on the Swazi Media Commentary blogsite.

 

Govt investigates child safety at discipline camps

By Melisa Msweli, eSwatini Observer, 16 May 2026

SOURCE 

Deputy Prime Minister’s office Director of Social Welfare Services Mcusi Shongwe met with stakeholders including the police and youth-based organisations to discuss growing concerns surrounding the safety and welfare of children in private discipline camps, ahead of planned engagements with the discipline camp operators.

The meetings form part of government’s ongoing assessment of the operation of discipline and rehabilitation camps across the country, amid concerns over child safety, vetting of trainers, discipline methods and compliance with the Child Protection and Welfare Act.

Shongwe said as the ministry responsible for children, government had an obligation to intervene in matters involving the welfare and protection of minors.

According to Shongwe, discussions with stakeholders focused on whether some of the discipline methods being applied in the camps were aligned with national laws, child protection standards and internationally accepted safeguarding frameworks.

This is after concerns from the DPM’s office over reports that children were being housed in tents in remote bush settings and subjected to harsh physical exercises, including prolonged exposure to mud and strenuous drills regardless of age or gender.

Government fears some of the practices may infringe on children’s rights and conflict with the country’s positive discipline framework, which promotes non-violent, age-appropriate and child-centred correction methods.

Section 14 of the Child Protection and Welfare Act of 2012 states that a child must be protected from cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment and that discipline must be appropriate to the child’s age and condition.

Concerns have since emerged over whether some activities conducted in the camps meet the threshold of humane and appropriate discipline.

Shongwe also said government remained concerned about the individuals entrusted with children in these camps and whether they had undergone proper vetting and training to work with minors.

The DPM’s office had earlier disclosed concerns that some individuals associated with certain camps allegedly had criminal records, including convictions related to child abuse, while there were fears that some trainers could themselves be engaging in substance abuse.

Authorities further questioned whether boys and girls of different ages were being subjected to the same forms of training without consideration of their developmental and physiological differences.

The social welfare director said having concluded engagements with stakeholders, government would now proceed to invite discipline camp operators for discussions. He said the purpose of the engagements would be to hear directly from operators about the programmes they offer and assess whether their operations comply with the law and child protection standards.

To read more of this report, click here

https://www.eswatiniobserver.com/dpm-office-engages-discipline-camp-operators-eswatini/

See also

DPM raises alarm over discipline camps (eSwatini Observer)

https://www.eswatiniobserver.com/dpm-office-discipline-camps/

 

eSwatini, UN pivot to E453M strategy to shield economy from shifting global aid

By Samkelisiwe Mavimbela, Independent News, eSwatini, 21 May 2026

SOURCE

MBABANE: The United Nations and the Government of Eswatini have launched an aggressive E453.1 million (US$27.6 million) economic survival plan designed to shield the local economy from a collapsing global foreign aid market.

Faced with a volatile international landscape where traditional donor funding has dried up, the two-year Joint Work Plan represents a drastic shift away from small-scale humanitarian charity toward massive, system-wide institutional reform and private sector investment.

The strategy officially kicked off at UN House on Thursday with 77.2% of the required capital already secured, leaving an E95.4 million (US$5.8 million) funding gap that UN officials and the Ministries in line  intend to aggressively source through corporate partnerships and domestic revenue mobilization.

UN Resident Coordinator George Wachira warned that multilateral cooperation is undergoing its greatest test since 1945 as global tensions, rising fuel prices, and security demands squeeze international budgets.

“This reality informs but does not paralyse us,” Wachira told senior government and business leaders. “As the development financing landscape evolves, the implementation of the framework will depend increasingly on stronger domestic resource mobilization, strategic partnerships and catalytic investments. Our mindsets and language must shift away from project funding towards financing and investing at scale to achieve transformation,” he added.

To survive this tightening fiscal environment, the plan focuses heavily on overhauling Eswatini’s internal financial systems. Co-chaired by the Minister for Economic Planning and Development, Dr. Thambo Gina, the initiative will prioritize tightening tax collection, streamlining public financial management, cutting waste, and curbing corruption to expand the national budget internally.

To read more of this report, click here

https://independentnews.co.sz/43637/business/economy/eswatini-un-pivot-to-e453m-strategy-to-shield-economy-from-shifting-global-aid/

 

King Mswati appointing brothers and sisters to head Ministry of Home Affairs since taking over the Throne, these alleged corrupt royal thieves are collapsing the Government

Opinion by Zweli Martin Dlamini, Swaziland News, 18 May 2026

SOURCE 

It is clear now that, the Ministry of Home Affairs is regarded as “Liphakelo” within royalty, Ministers are appointed from the royal family and these alleged royal thieves have been collapsing the Ministry of Home Affairs.

But let me state that during the then Home Affairs Minister Prince Sobandla’s term, the Ministry was doing well, other Home Affairs Ministers who were not deeply involved in corruption include Prince Gabheni and Princess Tsandzile.

Now we have Home Affairs Minister Princess Lindiwe, an alleged thief who disregarded a warning from Finance Minister Neal Rijikernberg and continued to award multimillion tenders to African Drums Events Management (Pty) Ltd, a company allegedly linked to her ‘JC’ religious cabal.

As the situation stands, emaSwati are struggling to access passports and other Identity Documents (IDs) and corruption contributed to this social crisis.

But the King must never think he will be divorced from this mess, it’s him who regularly appointed his brothers and sisters to head of the Ministry of Home Affairs thus turning the Ministry into “Liphakelo”.

Currently, we have an alleged thief Princess Lindiwe of the JC syndicate and emaSwati are now struggling to access passports and other services.

 

Inside the secret mission to fly Taiwan’s President to Africa

By Chris Buckley and Amy Chang Chien, New York Times. 14 May 2026

SOURCE 

TAIPEI: From satellite phone check-ins to a borrowed royal plane, new details show how Taiwan’s leader’s team outwitted China and pulled off an audacious journey to southern Africa. 

There were no heavy suitcases aboard the borrowed jet that secretly carried President Lai Ching-te of Taiwan toward Africa. Instead, to save fuel for a secret, 15,000-mile journey to get around restricted airspace, his entourage brought only carry-on bags.

The stripped-back, high-stakes mission, revealed by Taiwanese officials who had been on the flight, and who showed documents to back up their account of what happened, was aimed at outmaneuvering Beijing’s latest attempts to isolate Taiwan.

China had been gloating earlier after it dealt an embarrassing blow to the president of Beijing’s rival, Taiwan, and his government’s efforts to preserve the island’s standing on the global stage.

President Lai Ching-te of Taiwan had been invited by the tiny southern African kingdom of Eswatini to attend celebrations in April marking King Mswati III’s 40 years on the throne. Eswatini is the only African country that still maintains official diplomatic relations with Taiwan and not China.

Mr. Lai was forced to call off the trip after three other countries rescinded permits for him to fly through their airspace to reach Eswatini. The three nations did so apparently because of pressure from Beijing, which says Taiwan is its territory and has no rightful place in diplomacy.

Then, in a twist, Mr. Lai announced in early May: “I’ve arrived.”

He had reached Eswatini on a covert flight across the Indian Ocean that appeared to have caught Beijing by surprise. The Chinese government likened Mr. Lai’s actions to a rat running across a street. Mr. Lai celebrated his trip as a plucky victory against China’s campaign to marginalize Taiwan.

This account of Mr. Lai’s covert journey to Africa and back draws on interviews with two officials who had accompanied him on the trip. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive security and diplomatic details and to share related documents, such as the flight permits that were revoked.

King Mswati III gave Mr. Lai a full military welcome ceremony, seen in an image provided by the Taiwan Presidential Office. Credit: Taiwan Presidential Office, via Associated Press

To read more of this report, click here

https://www.nytimes.com/2026/05/14/world/asia/taiwan-eswatini-china-flight.html

 

Skills mismatch fuels unemployment crisis – BE

By Sibusiso Dlamini, eSwatini Observer, 18 May 2026

SOURCE 

Business Eswatini (BE), the leading private sector organisation, says the country’s unemployment crisis is being driven by a dangerous combination of slow economic growth, outdated qualifications and a culture that still trains young people to seek jobs rather than create them.

BE CEO E. Nathi Dlamini said this following the release of the country’s 2023 Integrated Labour Force Survey, which revealed that about 68 000 employed people earn below E2 000 per month despite being counted as formally employed.

The survey reported that the kingdom’s unemployment rate stood at 35.4%, while youth unemployment among economically active people aged between 15 and 24 has climbed to 56%.

Dlamini said the labour market crisis could not be understood through unemployment figures alone because deeper structural problems were feeding into one another.

To read more of this report, click here

https://www.eswatiniobserver.com/skills-mismatch-driving-unemployment-eswatini/

 

eSwatini quickly embraced Trump’s deportee program despite doubts over legality

By Tim Cocks, Reuters, 21 May 2026

SOURCE 

MBABANE: Upon learning through the U.S. embassy that President Donald Trump was looking for African nations ⁠to take ⁠in deported third-country migrants, Eswatini was one of the first to ⁠volunteer despite questions over the legality of the program.

According to three senior government sources briefed on the matter, Prime Minister Russell Dlamini met then-Acting U.S. Charge d’Affaires Caitlin ​Piper in mid-February last year to discuss the matter in private.

Dlamini took the proposal to King Mswati III, who marked 40 years on the throne of the mountainous southern African nation in April. Mswati listened and immediately agreed to host the deportees, two of ‌the sources said, describing previously unreported closed-door talks.

The speed of the ‌agreement, under which 19 migrants have been detained in a prison south of the capital Mbabane so far, reflects how keen Eswatini was to keep its U.S. partner happy.

“The king embraced the deal as Eswatini’s contribution to world order,” King Mswati’s spokesperson, ⁠Percy Simelane, told Reuters of ⁠the decision.

The U.S. was Eswatini’s largest single external donor in 2024, according to U.S. Official Development Assistance figures, with a large share of ​aid going towards HIV/AIDS programmes. The landlocked kingdom of 1.2 million people has one of the highest rates of HIV in the world. 

In return for hosting up to 160 deportees, Eswatini - where a third of the population live below the $2.15-a-day World Bank poverty line - was to be paid $5.1 million, according to a leaked copy of the deal seen by Reuters.

To read more of this report, click here

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2026-05-21/eswatini-quickly-embraced-trumps-deportee-program-despite-doubts-over-legality

 

SWAZI MEDIA COMMENTARY

Find us:

Blog: https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/142383985790674

 

No comments: