The trial of Swazi democrat Mario Masuku, accused of supporting terrorist acts, will go for trail next month (September 2009).
Masuku, who is president of the banned People’s United Democratic Movement (PUDEMO), has been remanded in jail since November 2008, charged under the Suppression of Terrorism Act and the Sedition Act.
Mumcy Dlamini, the Swaziland Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), said at least six witnesses were ready to testify against Masuku who is alleged ‘to have unlawfully and knowingly given support to the commission of terrorist acts by uttering the words to the effect that “they will continue with the bombing of vital installations and structures of the Government of the Kingdom of Swaziland”’.
According to a report in the Times Sunday yesterday (30 August 2009), he is said to have uttered words to the effect that Musa ‘MJ’ Dlamini and Jack Governder, who died in a bomb blast at Lozitha overhead bridge, were heroes and they died while PUDEMO needed them the most. He is accused of making these utterances on 27 September, 2008 at KaLanga in the Lubombo region at the funeral of Dlamini.
The trial is expected to start on 21 September 2009 and it could take up to ten days to complete.
Masuku is represented by lawyer Thulani Maseko, who is also facing terrorism charges in his own capacity.
Previously, the DPP announced that advocates would come from South Africa to conduct the trial on behalf of the Swazi state.