Search This Blog

Showing posts with label gold. Show all posts
Showing posts with label gold. Show all posts

Thursday, 12 October 2017

‘SECRETIVE’ GOLD MINE CLOSES

A gold mine in Swaziland opened by King Mswati III promising more than 400 jobs has been closed after allegations of poor management.

The Lufafa Gold Mine (now known as Lomati) at Hhelehhele in the Hhohho region was in February 2016 reported to have more than two million tonnes of ore which could contain about 15,000 kilograms of gold. It had an estimated value of more than E4 billion (US$263 million). Twenty-five percent of this would be held by King Mswati ‘in trust’ for the Swazi nation. Lufafa Managing Director Mihla Dlamini said at the time there was enough gold to be dug for a period of 35 years.
 
Minister of Natural Resources and Energy Jabulile Mashwama said on Monday (9 October 2017) the mine had been shut down after concerns were raised by different stakeholders about the running and administration of the company. 

The Swazi Observer reported on Tuesday this was revealed by the Minister during the ministry’s first quarter portfolio committee debate. The newspaper added, ‘The minister said there had been an enquiry into the running of the mine after which it was resolved that it had been closed down while the company tries to put its house in order. 

‘“Following a number of negative reports about the mine, the ministry took it upon itself to visit the mine and look into its running, upon arrival we realised there was a lot wrong and we had an enquiry look into it,” she said. 

‘The minister said the findings from the enquiry showed that there was a lot wrong hence the decision to shut down the mine so that the company could put their house in order.

‘“We have been informed by the company that they have changed management for the effective running of the mine and further resolve the problems which were identified during the enquiry,” she said.’

The mine reportedly will reopen before the end of October 2017.

When the King officially opened the mine in February 2016, he said it would bring 400 jobs at the mine and in the community. The Observer on Saturday newspaper reported (27 February 2016), ‘The King said he so wishes that the gold mine would perform well in order to bring more opportunities since he has seen for himself that the directors have demonstrated a good working leadership.’

The mine was shrouded in secrecy. At the opening ceremony journalists were prevented from taking pictures by security forces and Minister of Natural Resources, Jabulile Mashwama. The Nation magazine on its Facebook page said this created, ‘suspicion about the extraction of the mineral in the country’.

The Nation reported, ‘Sources told The Nation that the directors of [the mining company] did not want pictures of the mine to be published “for security reasons”.  Journalists were only allowed to photograph the event at the entrance of the mine, where a tent was pitched for King Mswati to meet the local community, and at the reception held at Pigg’s Peak.’

Before the opening, in June 2015, the Observer on Saturday reported its journalists were barred from entering the Lufafa premises.

The newspaper reported at the time, ‘The reason for barring the Observer on Saturday team could not be established as security personnel from For Him Security Services only declared that the authorities had instructed them not to allow anyone inside the premises. Even efforts to get the security to speak to the authorities and inform them it was the Observer on Saturday team that wanted an audience with them to ascertain how much ground the company had covered concerning the opening of the mine, but the very same answer was forwarded to the team that the authorities at the mine still did not want the team to enter the premises.’

See also

GOLD MINE ADDS TO SWAZI KING’S WEALTH
SWAZI KING’S PERSONAL GOLD RUSH
https://swazimedia.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/swazi-kings-personal-gold-rush.html

Tuesday, 1 March 2016

GOLD MINE ADDS TO SWAZI KING’S WEALTH

King Mswati III’s share of the just-reopened Lufafa Gold Mine at Hhelehhele in the Hhohho region of Swaziland could be worth up to US$149 million.

The King, who rules Swaziland as sub-Sharan Africa’s last absolute monarch, holds 25 percent of the mine ‘in trust for the Swazi nation’. He holds a quarter of all Swaziland’s mineral wealth ‘in trust’ but in reality he uses the money to fund the lavish lifestyle of himself and his vast Royal Family.

The Swazi News on Saturday (27 February 2016) reported, ‘The mine is reported to have more than two million tonnes of gold ore that contains the gold while the actual gold that may be recovered is estimated at about 15,000 kilograms.’

It added, ‘Lufafa Mine PTY Ltd is composed of three shareholders. The shareholders are Ingwenyama [King Mswati] in trust for the Swazi nation, government of Swaziland and SDZ Mine PTY Ltd. The life of the mine is 25 years with an option of renewal for a further 15 years.’

What it did not report was that at present prices gold can fetch between US$16,501 and $39,572 a kilo depending on the gold’s quality. This would make King Mswati’s 25 percent share worth between US$61,879,000 and US$148,395,000.

Media were invited to the reopening ceremony on Friday but were banned from taking photographs. The Nation, an independent monthly magazine, reported on its Facebook site, ‘journalists were prevented from taking pictures creating suspicion about the extraction of the mineral in the country. Security forces and Minister of Natural Resources, Jabulile Mashwama, ordered journalists not to take pictures at the mining site without giving any reasons.’

It added, ‘Sources told The Nation that the directors of [the mining company] did not want pictures of the mine to be published “for security reasons”.  Journalists were only allowed to photograph the event at the entrance of the mine, where a tent was pitched for King Mswati to meet the local community, and at the reception held at Pigg’s Peak.’

King Mswati has 13 palaces, a private jet aircraft, fleets of BMW and Mercedes-Benz cars and a Rolls Royce. He and his family live in splendour and take many expensive foreign holidays.

Meanwhile, seven in ten of the King’s 1.4 million subjects live in abject poverty with incomes of less than US$2 per day.

Last month (February 2016), the Government handpicked by the King announced a national drought emergency but said it did not have enough money to cope with the situation. It asked for E143 million (about US$9 million) in aid from the international donor community.

Tuesday, 5 January 2016

SWAZI KING’S PERSONAL GOLD RUSH

Swaziland’s King Mswati III stands to personally make up to US$65 million if a reported gold mine deal in his kingdom is successful.

The Observer on Saturday, a newspaper in effect owned by the King, reported that a gold mine on Lufafa Mountains, near Pigg’s Peak in the Hhohho region, was estimated to contain 251,000 ounces of gold, said to be worth more than E4 billion (US$263 million). 

The newspaper said a company called Lufafa Mine Pty Ltd would run the mining operations.

In Swaziland the law is that King Mswati, who rules as sub-Saharan Africa’s last absolute monarch, owns 25 percent of all mining companies in his kingdom. On that basis his share is worth US$65 million. In theory the King holds this ‘in trust for the Swazi nation,’ but in reality he uses the money to support his lavish lifestyle. He has 13 palaces, a private jet, a Rolls Royce car and fleets of BMW and Mercedes-Benz cars.

Meanwhile, seven in ten of his 1.3 million subjects live in abject poverty with incomes of less than US$2 per day.

Lufafa Mine Pty Ltd, the company that will run the mining operations, comprises SDZ Holdings LCC, the Swaziland Government and the King.

King Mswati has been mired in controversy over his dealings with foreign investors. In 2011 the Ngwenya Iron Ore Mine was opened but was forced to close in 2014. King Mswati held 25 percent of the operating company Southern Africa Resources Ltd (SARL) ‘in trust’ for the Swazi nation.

In April 2012, the King took US$10 million from the company as an advanced dividend against future income. Within weeks, the King spent US$9.5 million on a McDonnel Douglas McDonnell Douglas DC-9-87 private jet. 

The company was forced to cease trading in August 2014 amid much acrimony. A compensation claim for at least US$141 million has been prepared by SARL against the Kingdom of Swaziland at the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). 

See also

HOW SWAZI KING DESTROYED IRON MINE
http://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2015/02/how-swazi-king-destroyed-iron-mine.html