Search This Blog

Tuesday, 6 July 2021

Swaziland Army in ‘full charge’ after protests, many killed, Human Rights Watch reports

The Army in Swaziland (eSwatini) has taken full charge after mass prodemocracy protests left many people dead, according to a Human Rights Watch official.

Dewa Mavhinga, director for Southern Africa, added reports received by the organisation were that the Army were on a ‘killing spree’.

He said police in Swaziland had reported that the Army had refused to have joint operations so military deployment was not under civilian authority or oversight.

Mavhinga reported, ‘From a police source, the army is now fully in charge for real .. not even the police knows what the army is doing now.

‘They only call the police to collect bodies of people shot and killed.’

The Times of Swaziland reported on Sunday (4 July 2021) ‘Army declares We have taken over’ and added those who failed to obey instructions ‘will face full wraith of troops’.

The Times reported the first sight of the army being deployed on the streets was on the previous Tuesday after protesters turned violent. As well as killings there are reports of widespread lootings.

A group from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) was in Swaziland on a fact-finding visit, but has yet to make a public statement.

Protests have been taking place across Swaziland for several weeks. People marched on local government offices delivering petitions asking for democratic reforms. King Mswati III rules Swaziland as an absolute monarch. He choses the Prime Minister and cabinet ministers. Political parties are banned from contesting election and groups advocating for democracy are outlawed under the Suppression of Terrorism Act.

 

See also

‘Swaziland military kill at least 19 people during prodemocracy protests,’ campaigners report

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-military-kill-at-least-19.html

Swaziland Govt. imposes curfew as prodemocracy protests grow and reports say ‘King has fled kingdom’

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-govt-imposes-curfew-as.html

King Mswati reportedly flees Swaziland as prodemocracy protests intensify

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/king-mswati-reported-to-have-fled.html

Swaziland democracy protests continue despite ban and police violence

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-democracy-protests-continue.html

Swaziland absolute monarch bans pro-democracy marches as protests against him mount

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-absolute-monarch-bans-pro.html

Wednesday, 30 June 2021

‘Swaziland military kill at least 19 people during prodemocracy protests,’ campaigners report

As many as 19 people have reportedly been killed during the prodemocracy protests in Swaziland (eSwatini).

The Communist Party of Swaziland (CPS) reported five people had been certified dead at the Mbabane Government Hospital in the Swazi capital.

In a statement on Wednesday (30 June 2021) it said more than 50 people had been admitted to the hospital with gunshot wounds.

A dusk to dawn curfew was imposed on Tuesday after weeks of protests across Swaziland where King Mswati III rules as an absolute monarch. Pollical parties are banned from taking part in elections  and groups advocating for democracy are outlawed under the Suppression of Terrorism Act.

‘In Nhlangano town [on Tuesday night],the military killed one person and injured at least four, including a child of about nine years old,’ the CPS reported.

It added, ‘Nurses from the Manzini Raleigh Fitkin Memorial Hospital report that this morning they received three cases of protestors who died after getting shot by the military during the Tuesday night protests at Matsapha. Many more have been admitted with gunshot wounds inflicted by the military.’

It added, ‘At least five people have been confirmed dead following attacks by military during the Manzini-Matsapha protests since [Tuesday] night.’

CPS said, ‘In Mankayane, five have been confirmed dead, shot by the military.’

Internet connections across the kingdom have been shut down. CPS said, ‘The regime used the internet blackout to invade people’s homes, randomly assault, shoot and kill people, hoping that attacks would not be detected.’

See also

Swaziland Govt. imposes curfew as prodemocracy protests grow and reports say ‘King has fled kingdom’

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-govt-imposes-curfew-as.html

King Mswati reportedly flees Swaziland as prodemocracy protests intensify

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/king-mswati-reported-to-have-fled.html

Swaziland democracy protests continue despite ban and police violence

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-democracy-protests-continue.html

Swaziland absolute monarch bans pro-democracy marches as protests against him mount

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-absolute-monarch-bans-pro.html

 

Tuesday, 29 June 2021

Swaziland U.S. Embassy closes as prodemocracy unrest spreads across kingdom

The United States Embassy in Swaziland (eSwatini) is to stay closed on Wednesday (30 June 2021) in reaction to the civil unrest sweeping the kingdom and a curfew imposed by the Swazi Government.

In a ‘security alert’ published on social media it stated, ‘Civil unrest continues in eSwatini, including the burning and looting of stores, cars and businesses.’

Prodemocracy campaigners have been marching across the kingdom, especially in rural areas, delivering petitions at local government offices.

Swaziland is not a democracy and is controlled by King Mswati III as an absolute monarch. Political parties are banned from taking part in elections and the King appoints the Prime Minister and cabinet ministers. Groups advocating for democracy are outlawed under the Suppression of Terrorism Act.

Last week Acting Prime Minister Themba Masuku, speaking for the King, banned all protest demonstrations. This was largely ignored and protests continued. They want widespread political reforms and the right to elect their own Prime Minister.

On Tuesday (29 June 2021), Masuku announced a curfew from 6pm to 5am to take place with immediate effect.

Following this the US statement said, ‘All fights out of KM111 international airport have been suspended until further notice.’

It added, ‘Internet service is expected to degrade as Internet Service Providers have been told to shit down. Cell phone service is still available but data services (WhatsApp) will be spotty if existent at all.’

It added the US Embassy would remain closed through Wednesday 30 June 2021. Embassy staff have been directed to stay at home.

See also

Swaziland Govt. imposes curfew as prodemocracy protests grow and reports say ‘King has fled kingdom’

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-govt-imposes-curfew-as.html

King Mswati reportedly flees Swaziland as prodemocracy protests intensify

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/king-mswati-reported-to-have-fled.html

Swaziland democracy protests continue despite ban and police violence

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-democracy-protests-continue.html

Swaziland absolute monarch bans pro-democracy marches as protests against him mount

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-absolute-monarch-bans-pro.html

Swaziland Govt. imposes curfew as prodemocracy protests grow and reports say ‘King has fled kingdom’

A curfew has been imposed across Swaziland (eSwatini) as prodemocracy protests intensify and unconfirmed reports say absolute monarch King Mswati III has fled the kingdom.

The Swazi Acting Prime Minister Themba Masuku announced on Tuesday (29 June 2021) there would be an immediate curfew between the hours of 6pm and 5am.

He said in a statement, ‘All offices must be closed by 3:30pm to allow workers to get home safely. Essential workers will be required to produce a permit when travelling at night. No one is expected to be in the streets after 6pm.’

Schools will be closed with immediate effect, he said.

Last Thursday Masuku, speaking on behalf of the King, banned all protest marches but they continued unabated.

There have been reports across the kingdom of violence between police and protestors. Live ammunition has been fired by police and there are reports across social media of injuries among protestors.

Swaziland is not a democracy. King Mswati rules as an absolute monarch. Political parties are banned from taking part in elections and the King chooses the Prime Minister and government cabinet ministers as well as top judges and civil servants. Groups advocating for democracy are outlawed under the Suppression of Terrorism Act.

In his statement, Masuku warned protestors, ‘Our security forces are on the ground to maintain law and order.’

On Tuesday morning the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation and other media outlets published unconfirmed reports that King Mswati had fled Swaziland.

See also

King Mswati reportedly flees Swaziland as prodemocracy protests intensify

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/king-mswati-reported-to-have-fled.html

 

Swaziland democracy protests continue despite ban and police violence

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-democracy-protests-continue.html

 

Swaziland absolute monarch bans pro-democracy marches as protests against him mount

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-absolute-monarch-bans-pro.html

King Mswati reportedly flees Swaziland as prodemocracy protests intensify

King Mswati III, the absolute monarch of Swaziland (eSwatini), fled the kingdom after prodemocracy campaigners defied his order to stop protest marches, according to unconfirmed reports.

The South Africa Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) reported on Tuesday (29 June 2021) that he had left but details were ‘still sketchy’. It said thousands of people had taken to social media after reports that he had fled the kingdom ‘after pro-democracy protests turned into chaos’.

The Swaziland News, an online newspaper, reported the King ‘fled’ on Monday evening.

It said he had also ordered the arrest of two members of parliament who supported the protestors.

Swaziland is ruled by King Mswati as an absolute monarch. Political parties are banned from taking part in elections and the King chooses the Prime Minister and government cabinet ministers as well as top judges and civil servants. Groups advocating for democracy are outlawed under the Suppression of Terrorism Act.

Protestors have marched across the kingdom – mostly in rural areas – to deliver petitions at local government centres calling for widespread reforms. Among them is a demand they be allowed to elect the prime minister.

Themba Masuku, the Swazi Acting Prime Minister on Thursday speaking on behalf of the King, issued a ban on all protest marches but many went ahead over the weekend in defiance.

The Swaziland News reported on Tuesday, ‘It has been disclosed that the army was deployed to control the situation at Matsapha on Monday evening a few minutes after the King fled using his private jet. The soldiers immediately started opening fire and the exact number of causalities could not be ascertained at the time of compiling this report, protests are expected to intensify on Tuesday night with protestors targeting King Mswati and Government properties.’

It added, ‘An effort was made to contact King Mswati directly on his mobile phone for a comment after his Spokesperson Sabelo Dlamini avoided questions several times, however, both numbers of the King not available on the network at the time of compiling this report and his whereabouts remain unknown.’

Later on Tuesday, Acting Prime Minister Masuku issued a satement saying the King ‘is in the country’. He promised updates on the situation in the kingdom ‘as the day progresses.’

See also

Swaziland democracy protests continue despite ban and police violence

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-democracy-protests-continue.html

 

Swaziland absolute monarch bans pro-democracy marches as protests against him mount

https://swazimedia.blogspot.com/2021/06/swaziland-absolute-monarch-bans-pro.html